Christina Woronchak, Vice President and General Manager, Global Sales, American Express Global Business Travel (GBT)
American Express Global Business Travel (GBT) celebrates International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month this March by highlighting some of its female executives across the globe. We begin with shining the spotlight on Vice President and General Manager of Global Sales Christina Woronchak. As part of David Reimer’s leadership team, Christina oversees a team of 20 sales executives that help customers navigate the constantly evolving business travel landscape including policy compliance, expense management, and meetings and events management. She has been with GBT for 15 years and enjoys being part of an organization that helps companies and their employees prosper by making sure travellers are present where and when it matters.
- What does International Women’s Day mean to you? I think it’s an important day to recognize that women have a lot to celebrate no matter the journey we choose to pursue or the accomplishments achieved.
- What’s one barrier that you have you faced, as a woman, in becoming successful in your field/industry? How did you overcome it? At the beginning of my career, I assumed that my results would speak for themselves as I looked to progress in my career. I’m modest by nature and it took the advice of one of my leaders to understand that visibility within an organization is important. I’ve managed to drive results but have also worked hard on building relationships with my internal network. That has led to support from key leaders within the organization who have helped me achieve my career goals.
- What is the driving force behind everything you do…what keeps you motivated and driven on an everyday basis? I’m very goal-oriented and passionate to the core about what I do. I love my job and leading my team. One of the biggest motivators for me is that with every new customer that my team signs, we are growing the business and that creates growth opportunities for our people. I love to think about the downstream effects of that and how it may result in an employee’s child attending the college of their choice or building a dream home. On the client side, I know my team and I are helping customers achieve their goals and supporting the strategic business priorities of their organizations There is nothing more satisfying than feeling a sense of purpose every morning when you start your day. That is the secret to success. If you love what you do and do what you love, everything else comes together.
- What advice would you give someone looking to start working in the business travel industry? I have so much advice to give but two things immediately come to mind: 1) don’t be afraid to ask others for advice when you are making critical decisions, and 2) get a good mentor— one who will be invested in the goals you have set out to accomplish.
- Lastly, what three skills do you think are essential to be a great leader? To be a great leader you need 1) to be yourself/authentic, 2) you need to genuinely care about what you do and your people, and 3) you need to surround yourself with brilliant people who share your sense of purpose.
American Express Global Business Travel (GBT) is a joint venture that is not wholly owned by American Express Company or any of its subsidiaries (American Express). “American Express Global Business Travel,” “American Express Meetings & Events,” “American Express,” and the American Express logo are trademarks of American Express and are used under limited license.