New York, NY, September 10, 2015 – American Express Global Business Travel (“GBT”) today announced the release of its inaugural corporate social responsibility (CSR) report, GBT’s Commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility 2014. The report outlines the company’s commitment to responsible, sustainable and ethical processes and practices in five key areas of focus: governance and ethics, employees, customers, community and environment. The 2014 report also includes plans to improve and expand GBT’s efforts in future.
“In 2014 American Express Global Business Travel became a standalone company, focused exclusively on corporate travel and related services and backed by 100 years of experience in the industry,” said Bill Glenn, President and Chief Executive Officer, American Express Global Business Travel.
“This is the perfect time for us to take a more dedicated and focused approach to our global CSR activities. We are committed to integrating our CSR priorities into our newly evolving business objectives, and expanding upon our efforts over the coming months and years”.
Highlights from GBT’s CSR activities in 2014 include:
- Governance and Ethics – a review of policies, procedures and guidelines relating to ethical and lawful business practices. 99.9% of GBT’s 12,000 employees globally completed training to understand and comply with GBT’s high standards.
- Employees – an expansion of GBT’s Code of Conduct training for all employees globally, to include a separate and specific module focused on anti-discrimination, as part of GBT’s commitment to providing a safe, inclusive and diverse working environment.
- Products and solutions – enhancements to GBT products aimed at helping our customers to make their own travel programs more environmentally friendly, and assisting their duty of care obligations to their traveling employees. An example of this was the launch of Card Swipe functionality for GBT’s traveler care solution, EXPERT CARE. This allows travel managers to view a traveler’s itinerary information and recent American Express® Corporate Card transactions to help pinpoint their location during an emergency situation.
- Community engagement – a meaningful investment in the local communities in which GBT operates, demonstrated through donations and thousands of volunteer hours by GBT employees. For example, in 2014 GBT employees across the US, Canada and India donated more than $500,000 to causes they care most about.
- Environment – the widespread adoption of energy efficient building and IT equipment, power-management software and deployment of occupancy sensors, all aimed at reducing energy consumption and minimizing the environmental impact of GBT’s global operations.
In 2015, GBT’s CSR priorities include establishing formal processes to measure our greenhouse gas emissions and developing associated sustainability goals in 2016. GBT will also further expand efforts to ensure diversity, inclusion and equal opportunity in the workforce.
To guide the development of this report, the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines have been applied and followed throughout. GRI provides the world’s most widely used standards on sustainability reporting and disclosure. GRI’s G4 guidelines provide a framework for reporting on environmental, economic and social issues.
GBT’s Commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility 2014 report can be viewed here.
About American Express Global Business Travel
American Express Global Business Travel enables corporations and empowers business travelers with insights, connections and exceptional customer service on a global scale. Through technology and information, American Express Global Business Travel provides leading travel solutions, integrated consulting services, proprietary research, and end-to-end meetings and events capabilities. These innovative offerings enable clients to optimize the return on their travel and meetings investments.
American Express Global Business Travel has operations and network partners in nearly 140 countries worldwide with approximately 12,000 employees. American Express Global Business Travel ranked first among corporate travel providers in the 2014 Corporate Travel 100 (“CT100”), an annual listing compiled by Business Travel News which ranks companies with the largest volume of U.S. air bookings. Learn more about how American Express Global Business Travel connects the world at www.amexglobalbusinesstravel.com and twitter.com/amexgbt.
American Express Global Business Travel (“GBT”) is a joint venture that is not wholly-owned by American Express Company or any of its subsidiaries (“American Express”). “American Express Global Business Travel”, “American Express” and the American Express logo are trademarks of American Express, and are used under limited license.
+1 (212) 640-8801
+61 2 9271 1467